Sunday, August 24, 2008

CD's - Dinosaurs

CD sales have been plummeting ever since the age of illegal downloading dawned in the early 2000. Unfortunately, many retail stores and chains, such as Walmart are getting rid of their music section. I think this is so sad, it's the end of an era kind of like when we were told that Pluto is not a planet anymore.

Just like the new non planet, CD's have been around since the mid 80's it is a shame that their reign was only during our generation. We will be the last to remember the joys of buying a new CD and bringing it home just to be tired of over playing it three hours later. This experience will die with us and that it sad =(.

"I see it as a generational shift. A new batch of kids -- i.e. today's teenagers -- grew up with music always available with the press of a button. They never knew the joy of heading to the CD store the day their favorite band's album was set to come out, then heading back home with that cellophane-encased treasure in their hands. To them, music is a concept, not a tangible object. It's a disposable file, not an invaluable possession. The mindset has undergone a massive transformation, and the stores are seeing the result."

People nowadays have become the Drive Thru Generation, we need to have things immediately. I for one will miss being able to hold a tangible piece of art in my hands and will miss the use of my boom box (yes I have 2 with cassette players and everything). I do not need iTunes or Limewire. I'm fine with pictures and stories and lyrics of the music attached with my compact disc. Unfortunately, "advancements" have to be made, but I do not think this is an important advancement that people should focus on. Music is not made in a computer, it is just transferred there. Future generations will not be able to differentiate between that statement and it makes me worried about how much life is going to change in the near future.

Until CD's are completely off the shelf, you can find me in FYE looking through the soundtracks =)




Reference:
Cue In The Curtain: In-Store CD Sales Nearing An End:
http://tech.msn.com/news/articlepcw.aspx?cp-documentid=9495191>1=40000

No comments: