Friday, September 12, 2008

Lift Every Voice and Sing

Lift every voice and sing,
Til Earth and Heaven ring.
Ring to the harmonies of Liberty.
Let our rejoicing rise,
High as the listening skies.
Let us resound load as the rolling Sea.

Sing a song, full of the faith that the dark past has taught us.
Sing a song, full of the hope that the present has brought us.

Facing the rising sun,
Of a new day begun.
Let us march on,
Til victory is won.

I wish I was there, when this song was in its prime. During the fight for racial independence was at its peak. I wonder what I would've done if I was segregated against, who would I have been, submissive or rebellious. Would I be dead already because of my strong character? I have never experienced racial slurs to their fullest, why would I, I live in Miami which is liek 90% Hispanic. Ive often wondered if I would be scared to encounter a hate crime but luckily this has never been a problem for me.

What would you do? If you were Jewish in th Holocaust, or Black or Hispanic in the early ninteen hundreds? Would you hide your true heritage if you could? If you were "white" enough? I would never, i'm too proud and that could have led to my untimely death. But to go back on who u truly are is dying, supressing your roots would lead to suffcation at least in my case. I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees (Thanks Shania). <3 Just late night thought... im so random lol. The song is beautiful though, i miss singing it at assemblies.

No comments: